Whilst the 2018 AFL season has come to its inevitable conclusion, I thought to myself, We have 123 classes at U3A Whittlesea, lots of sports, hobbies and technical and mind improvement, all fabulous and enjoyed by all. But no AFL. The game that sprung out of a winter activity back in the late 1800s for the cricketers once summer was over. The game that has become uniquely Australian and played and followed by Australians from all cultural backgrounds. The game that brings people together.
So, to all of you that are Friends of AFL or would like to Befriend AFL for the first time, we have put together a full year program for you. Friends of AFL – Discussion and Learning Together
The activities will be all-encompassing and in its first year will cover some or all of the following:
- A monthly lunchtime discussion at 2 Beans and a Farm Café in Mernda, with guest speaker
- Rules of the game discussion allowing debate over our favourite rules. Great fun for those that may not understand the rules fully.
- Discussion of the weekend’s rounds
- Competitions – Footy tipping competition, Supercoach fantasy league competition – You can buddy up if new to the game
- Class member topic for discussion – can be anything football related past or present or a special footy memory from the past. Could be coaching, Junior footy. Almost footy legends stories etc.
We plan on commencing in the first week of the U3A Whittlesea new year week commencing Monday 3rd February (Date to be Confirmed)
PS Our fabulous game is not gender specific, so we welcome male members to join as well 😊
For more details contact Bryan McNally 0419 585 894
Thanks to AFL Footy Clipart – clipartxtras.com for the fun graphic